View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
40 Deluxe

Default Re: What is it, is it valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmklawt View Post
Hello,

I joined this forum just to ask this question, I bought what I think is a "Model A" rear axle but not being a car guy I really don't know. I bought this for a tractor project I'm working on and was planning on narrowing the axle but thought I should check and make sure I don't have something rare before I start cutting it up.
I need an old looking axle for my project, doesn't really matter what axle it is.
Is the driveshaft still in the torque tube? Some times the driveshaft and pinion gear were removed for converting to trailer use. The ring gear assembly needed to stay to hold the axle shafts in, which in turn are needed to hold the rear hubs on. Shortening the torque tube is a simple matter of resplining the driveshaft or cutting and welding. If narrowing the housing, the axle shafts need to be retapered (close tolerances here) or cut and welded.
There are grease fittings next to the backing plates to grease the hub bearings.
Get the brakes working and install a brake pedal for each side. Now you have turning brakes that will whip your tractor around on a dime!
The wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 5 1/2", which is the same as F150 Ford pickup, older Jeeps, Scouts, Suzuki Samurai and Sidekicks, Geo/Chevy Trackers and more.

Last edited by 40 Deluxe; 12-01-2018 at 05:11 PM.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote