View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #56
Will D

Default Re: Engine removal '38 deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I honestly don't know. Bear in mind the spring is a blow off valve if the pressure gets too high. In reality the pressure is determined by the clearances in the bearings It would be unusual for the relief valve to be operational except for a short time after startup.
So I honestly don't know whether the forward thrust generated from the driving of the oil pump is able to overcome the rearward thrust from the timing gears having to drive the valves plus the oil pump load.
I'm thinking too much.
My brain hurts.
Mart.

Thanks Mart, no doubt your head hurts, I forget about the time difference sometimes. Your burning the candle at both ends

From what I'm finding online and given the way ford designed the cover, it is meant to be a thrust surface with the 2 oil grooves to lubricate it. This wear may not have bin as much with a fibre timing gear but the aluminum replacements can grind a little more. Most used covers I've found have a groove worn in it from the timing gear.

With the aftermarket aluminum timing gear, it would be neat if a guy could modify the cover with a torrington bearing. You can find them with high enough rpm ranges but not sure the amount of noise that would generate.

Some might say it worked fine for ford for years, why change it but we changed the material for the gear so maybe the cover should change along with it?