Thread: Board-Feet
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 06:35 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Board-Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The ones that had the most wood were the bodies manufactured by the subcontractors with the station wagons having the most. All the Fordors and the Cabriolet all had quite a bit. The ones made by Ford generally only used wood to have a bit of extra bracing and act as tack attachments for interior trim.

When you use width times length times thickness as a formula you can see than the pieces have to be fairly large to get much board footage. Most pieces were not much wider than 2 inches nor much longer than a few feet with many parts being pretty thin.
You would have to measure all the pieces to find out.
Even with all the prints I have, this is not easy to measure. I have the prints for the 150 body as we are making those however there is not much wasted materials when making that body since the majority is straight runs. The 255 body will have more BF than the 150, but based on my experience, I would venture the 60A/B/C bodies use more BF to fabricate the body. The picture Bob posted above is a 60 series that we built. On those we often must use 12/4 and 16/4 lengths where over half of the stock is discarded once the piece is shaped.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote