View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #47
MikeK

Default Re: Who Can Diagnose THIS Total Mystery? Win A Prize?

The easy way (IMHO) to check for an intermittent fuel delivery problem is to use one of these:

It's a carb fuel level sight tube, about $8 from Brattons. You replace the bottom carb plug with it and bend the clear tube which has a stiffener wire inside, up, around, and above the bowl top. You will 'see' the float level. Drive 'till it hiccups, then quick, go look and see if it is where it normally is, or is down.

Electrical: You may also experience that type of behavior if you are running on straight generator, with the connection to the battery lost. In addition to the electrical stuff already suggested by the great Fordbarners above: Remove/clean- frame to ground strap bolt, both battery terminals, heavy cable to starter, wiring from cutout to starter switch, wiring to terminal box. How old is your battery? On rare occasions, internal connections between cells on modern batteries go bad or become intermittent. That is VERY dangerous, it can ignite the hydrogen and make the battery explode!! Here's a pix:

If my suggestions solve it, for a prize I want you to put together a good Tech-Talk about finding it and present it at one of your club meetings. Also post your experience here. If your battery blows up, don't call me, I'll call you. Did I mention safety glasses, baking soda and a water bucket? Absolutely always when doing electrical stuff in eyesight of a car bomb, er, battery.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote