View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 03:29 AM   #20
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The purchase of my first A; ‘the staff car’

After makingthe purchase of my first A I drove it home. It was running very poorly,difficult to drive and was quite a spectacle for all to see. I had paid $2k forthis and the farmer who sold it to me thought I was just nuts. He was correct .
As I said, quitea spectacle. When I reached our small town of 2000 I followed a ute (pickup)that had a load of school kids, all in cricket whites, armed with shin pads andbats and stumps. Everything one uses to play cricket. They were being driven tothe sports grounds to play.
Well whenthey saw me in that car, now Jed Clampett’s car couldn’t hold a candle to it,they with outstretched arms gave me the thumbs up. At that very instant, as ifit was their signal of command, the car got wheel shimmy. With their outstretchedarms their thumbs up immediately became an outstretched fore finger pointing atme, heads held right back and they were roaring with laughter. I think I still had their approval.
Then intoour back yard. Didn’t get wife’s approval. Instead got her abuse. What? Whatwill you do with that? We don’t have much money and you’ve just blown a heap ona pile of rusty tin!
Well thingsremained at a standstill for a while. As I said we had no money. Eventually itwas rebuilt and runs well. She has softened. It is painted desert sand (light)and has been named ‘the staff car’.
It was usedin my business. For a 2 month period we accommodated an additional 2 pilotsduring the rice sowing season. In the morning we took a car each to work becausewe would return that evening at differing times. The first two out tookvehicles with closed cabins and the last took the A. Mornings were quite cool.However the first to return home in the afternoon or evening took the A. It waswarm then.
A traditionat the start of every season was to buy new and ridiculous hats. One yearMexican. On this particular afternoon we donned these hats and drove 10 milessouth to Tocumwal. I well remember, infact would never forget, being overtakenby an expensive Landrover with 3 mature and well dressed ‘Ladies’. As the drewabeam the all turned and looked left (we drive on the left in Au). At that very instant they broke down withlaughter. Difficult to describe the instantaneous and intensity of that verymoment but the 3 of us still mention it from time to time. The incident was notintended to attract attention however I shall not forget it. I betcha theladies in the Landrover won’t either neither will the kids in the back of the ute.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote