View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #207
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Been working on the rear doors and riding the BSA a bit too. I finally built the rear doors. Not the tailgate but the rear doors for passengers. I had bought some real heavy duty 2 1/2" hinges to hang them on but for the life of me I can't find them anywhere..... The photos show the very first fit into the opening and it isn't too bad. Some needs to be relieved so they will sit plumb. I have yet to determine how the windows will operate, but I have a lot of router bits and a welder to alter them if needed to get clearance. Tomorrow we will be on the mainland starting a much needed 4 day weekend. First stop is a guy I found in Oak Harbor who has 3 ford woodies and is willing to show me the doors and lots of other parts so I can get some dimensions and photos before I build the front doors. The front doors have been keeping me up at night, but really it's the regular work jobs that stress me and the woodie project keeps me sane. Or relatively so...... The mahogany looking panels you see are marine plywood I get from my supplier for 70 bucks and it's 9 ply 3/8". I see woodies that have mahogany panels and others with birch or ash or whatever. I tend to like the blonde wood for panels. Any advice on what would have been customary for the era? I have a vacuum press for veneers and access to any species so open to ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear doors for real 002.JPG (132.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg rear doors for real 015.JPG (95.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg rear doors for real 026.JPG (120.8 KB, 93 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 05-20-2016 at 08:28 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote