Thread: Gas 10% ethanol
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #26
Viv W

Default Re: Gas 10% ethanol

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
In Zimbabwe we have no choice, our gas is minimum 10% ethanol and the Govt wants to raise it to 20%. I use this gas for everyday use in my two old toyota's with no lead or other additives with no real problems, but can confirm it is nasty stuff in our very old cars.
I had a 56 MG that wasn't used for 2 years, the gas had eaten into the carb float bowls about a 1/16inch and there was equivalent to silver aluminum paint in the float bowls, the gas tank was very basly rusted and the bottom had thick tar like residue in the bottom. The float and sender unit inside the gas tank were trashed by corrosion.
I had similar problems with the gas tank on a Model A I bought, that had sat a few years. The Model A was running when parked, but I ended up having to pull the head and do a valve job to get rid of this sticky molasses type goo.
I googled problems with alcohol based gas, there is too much to list here, but look it up on the net. IT IS BANNED FOR MARINE AND AIRCRAFT USE IN CERTAIN STATES AND COUNTRIES, BECAUSE IT IS HYDROSCOPIC, ABSORBING WATER.
And any fibreglass or plastic tank built before 1990 is likely to dissolve from this gas.
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote