View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #1
falconsprint63

Default 37 flatty questions

Bear with me here. I'm totally new to flathead. The 36 phaeton i just bought has a freshly rebuilt 24 stud 37 model engine. I've heard it run but can't get it to run consistently. Logic says fuel,fire and air and it should run.

The handful of times I've been able to get it running it's been off ether and or fuel through the carb so start with fuel.

Added a couple of gallons of gas, new lines front to rear. Doesn't appear to be pumping.

1) fuel pump. It's got a new bon drake fuel pump on it. How stiff should the diaphragm be? Should I be able to pump it manually relatively easily or is it super stiff? (Mine is super stiff)

2) the tech at dennis carpenter's suggested replacing the pump rod before trying an electric pump. How do you get the rod out? Has a push in retainer like a freeze plug holding it in. I just don't want to mess something up.

Moving on to spark. When I can get it to run off ether it will do it once, maybe twice then won't fire again. Almost like it's flooded. What am I missing here?

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated.
falconsprint63 is offline   Reply With Quote