View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #15
blucar

Default Re: Suggestions for mild cam & muiltple carb setup with Columbia rearend

FWIW.. The engine in my car was originally built in 1954, last rebuild in 1961. the car was originally my daily driver, getting me to work, etc., but then on weekends I would run it on the drag strips and/or street racing from time to time. When the engine was rebuilt in '61 it was de-tuned a bit, lowered the compression from 10.1 to 9.0 to make it more drive able. The Weber F1 cam was not a very radical grind, good performance, a little lumpy on the idle. Howard made a cam called an M8 in the early '50's that was very popular for street use, I wanted the M8 but got talked out of it.
I think the big plus on the Stromburg 97's was the ease of re-jetting, which was a constant function if the car was driven daily. My job for two years required me to drive to different elevations, where I might have to stay for several weeks. I carried a box of jets and the special jet wrench in the glove compartment to reject the carbs as needed. The oil bath air cleaners on my engine are not pretty, more practical compared to the traditional chrome bonnets, and they are quieter.

The linkage on my carbs is direct, and I have always ran a fuel block mounted on the firewall to distribute the fuel to the carbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Frd eng.1.jpg (69.1 KB, 36 views)