View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #72
Old Henry

Default Re: Tell me this noise isn't what I'm afraid it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Back in the old days, guys would just drop the pan and put in a new set of rod bearings. If the journals aren't cooked, you might get away with doing just that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford3 View Post
Old Henry, before you go to far pull the pan and those two rods, mic the crank, you might just get away with polishing the throw and installing new bearings
I'm still interested in this idea that the necessary repair might be made without removing the engine. I have removed the oil pan before so know how to do that and can do that. I'm just not sure what to look for after that. Here's a diagram of the crankshaft, piston, and connecting rods for me to ask some questions that I'd need to know if I try to fix this whether the engine is in or out of the car.

So, first off, I'm not sure what the "journals" are that have been mentioned. Is that the surface of the section of the crankshaft that the connecting rods connect to? If so, how would one know whether or not they are "cooked"?

Is 6211 the bearings that might need replaced? How would I know?

If I remove the oil pan can I grab the connecting rods for pistons 1 and 5 and detect enough looseness to know what the problem is and how to fix it?

How do I know whether it's a wrist pin, broken piston, connecting rod bearing, or "journal" that needs repaired?

I'd dearly love to believe I could fix this with the oil pan off but I have a lot of doubts, even if the engine was out, about my knowledge and abilities.