View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 1931 Model A Serial Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2modelA View Post
Hello Yall!

I JUST purchased my first Model A & receved it yesterday, I am so excited! I bought it out of Florida and since I was told it had a clear title, I was not too concerned, that is, until i saw the title. I am concerned about the serial number.

There are only 4 digits.

The serial number tag on the fire wall is painted over. The engine block vin location is blank & both frame rails are covered by fiberglass fenders (On a steel body) & they obviously wont be visible, until I remove the fenders.

Is it the end of the world as I know it?

Thank you in advance,
Chris Kennedy
Assuming the vehicle was manufactured in the United States the serial number should start with a star and the the letter "A" followed by 7 digits and a second star. Contact the seller and ask where the number is on the vehicle? His answer should be interesting. There is no serial number tag on the firewall. There is body number tag on bodies not built by Ford (what body style is yours?) that should not be used to identify the vehicle. State assigned vehicle identification numbers are usually attached to the door jam. Hopefully one of these may be the source of the 4 digit number (not right but at least a starting point). There is also a plate on the firewall that shows the patents that applied to the vehicle (available as a reproduction) that may be the one that is painted over. The engine block would not have a serial if it was a replacement block from Ford. Model B (1932-34) engines did not have a serial number stamped into the block, does your engine have a fuel pump or block off plate where one should be (indicating a '32-'34 engine)? If the number on the frame is in the correct location you can't just remove the fenders to see it, the entire body must be lifted (See Post #2 for location). Did you buy it from a dealer or a private party? Can you return it? Do something quick before they spend your money. I hope you have the "clear title" comment in writing, you may need it in court. Keep a copy of all advertising for the vehicle. Was it purchased through EBAY or similar if so, there might be protection there? Don't throw away correspondence or emails, you may need them in court. YOU NEED TO GET THIS RESOLVED BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ON THE VEHICLE.

Right now it sounds like you have a worthless piece of paper (EBAY?) and a vehicle you can't prove is yours.

Good Luck

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-07-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote