View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 02:02 AM   #1
wingski

Default starts but won't run

OK, I need help. I have done everything I can think of get my A running. However, it starts immediately but won’t keep running without missing and back-firing. I’ll list the things I’ve done and maybe you can tell me where I went wrong.

1-New fresh gas is in the tank. Filled tank to 1/2 full.
2-Installed new headgasket, used Indian Chief shellac, and torqued to 55 ft. Lbs in three stages and then torqued in reverse order.
3-Ran compression check- #1 56 psi #2 53 psi #3 55 psi and #4 60 psi.
4-Removed timing gear cover and the notch in the crank gear lined up with the dimple in the cam gear.
5-Made sure the cam plunger and spring were good. They were new.
6-Drilled out dimple enough so timing pin fits securely when in hole and bolted cover back on.
7-Set distributor so rotor was pointed at #1, set the point to .020 and spark plugs to .035, and backed up the distributor cam so the points just closed while the timing hole in the cam gear was lined up with the timing pin.
8- Turned timing pin around and turned crank back from timing mark and turned crank forward. Points sparked when rotor was pointed at #1.
9-Made sure gas was getting to the carb
10-Checked plug wires for continuity. They are good.
11-Tightened all intake, exhaust, and carb mounts. No air leaks.
12-Made sure gas cap was venting correctly. It is.
13-Turned key on, retarded spark, pulled throttle lever down two clicks, opened rich/lean knob 1/2 turn, pulled out choke, and pushed starter.
14-Engine started immediately, but never smoothed out when I pushed the choke in. I pulled the choke back when the engine tried to stall, but all it did was back-fire and finally stalled when I pushed the choke in.
15- I tried starting it three different times allowing 15-20 minutes between attempts. The results were the same or close to the same each time.

I don’t mind asking for advice, but I really hate to ask for help because I’m soo stuborn. However, I’m at wits end with this thing.

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote