View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Flywheel balancing

I never balanced anything but lawn mower blades and they're pretty elementary. But balancing a spinning mass like a wheel or flywheel is beyond me. I've seen plenty of tires balanced. What baffles the spit out of me is how the machine can not only locate the heavy (or light as the case may be) side, but the amount of imbalance. I worked with some older machinists who had worked at Curtis Wright, Fairfield, during the war, Balancing propellors. They way they did it was to put the prop on a mandrel that fit on two rails and allow it to spin till it's heavy blade was hanging down. It gave you the heavy side, but not the amount. Something like an old bubble balancer. I think this is "Static" balancing, while spinning the part is called "Dynamic" Balancing. The Mod.A does not have to power through mud clogged roads today. Today's A's are not bull dozers or pseudo Farm Tractors. They are more like pampered pets. They really don't need such heavy flywheels. But whatever the weight, they need to be properly balanced.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy green coupe View Post
Thanks again Terry and Brent for your thoughts, I had thought about that possibility and was thinking if the machinist said it was close I might just leave it alone but if it happened to be out significantly in his opinion then I would have him correct it. This car was redone about 2005 but I don't have much info about what was done. Seems like some things were done well but I have corrected enough things that I have lost confidence in the work that the owner did himself. The engine has definitely been rebuilt and I hope that he didn't do it. I do have some vibration at higher rpms but with stock motor mounts it may just be the nature of the beast. I was wanting to just make sure he didn't just buy an engine and never checked the flywheel before putting it on. That is such a large mass of iron spinning I just thought it might be worth checking. I read so many different opinions about lightening on here that I couldn't tell if I should do that or not. I will study that some more.

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 01-09-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote