View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #29
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: 12 Volt Conversion

Those earlier 12 volt systems that ran 12 V to the coil for startup only and then dropped back to 6 V for running accomplished that via the solenoid. The GM style solenoid has a special terminal on it to bypass the resistor in the circuit to the coil. The Ford type solenoid also had such a terminal.

He said he switched it to push button start so he had to have used a Ford-type solenoid to do that. Being a repop, there may or may not be the extra terminal there; he would have to ohm it out.

Purdy, I am now using American made 1.5 Ohm coils that I am getting from Mel Mallory at FSI ignition. Per Mel, there is only one company left in America making coils and they are of very good quality. This company does NOT make an internally resisted coil (ie a 3.0 Ohm coil); he has to get those from overseas. This American company is in Indiana and I think the name is Andover or something. He also said many users do not like the appearance of an external resistor hanging off something (not a problem for me, I want the darned thing to work. We think nothing of heading out for a 1000 mile tour and I need reliability away from home. In fact we leave on another one in a week)

I like the resistor externally because that spares the coil all that extra heat, increasing the longevity

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 08-23-2014 at 08:46 AM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote