View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
JimNNN

Default Westach 6 volt tachometer review, attn: zoegrant

I told zoegrant I would review the Westach 6 volt tachometer once I received it and got it installed, which I did today. It's made by Westberg Manufacturing, Inc., which is located in California I believe. I'm sorry I can't post pictures of my tach from my camera to this forum for some reason, but no matter. Mine looks like the one in the pic on the company website.

http://www.westach.com/

I ordered the unit for my '54 Ford wagon, which has the original 239 V-8. My purpose wasn't for performance, but to be able to see rpm differences at highway speeds when the overdrive is locked out vs. when it isn't. The tachometer is made in the USA, as I believe all of their instruments and gauges are.

The unit I ordered was the:
Model: 2CT54-6V
Price: $124.65

It has a 2" dial face with a front fascia/cover/trim that measures about 2-5/16" across, as I recall. This unit is designed for V8 engines, and has a top reading of 5000 rpm, which is sufficient for me, given my purpose. BE CAREFUL when ordering because they offer a couple of other units that are identical in appearance, but are made for 4 cylinder applications and won't work with Y blocks or flathead eights. One of the 4 cyl. tachs only goes up to 3500 rpm, so I'm thinking it may be for Model A's maybe, or even tractors.

As I said, the tach is 6 volt, and it can be used on either pos. or neg. ground systems, which is cool, but you need to follow the wiring instructions, which are incredibly easy. The specs stipulate that it's for standard point ignition.

Though I was only able to test it for 20-30 minutes today, I was very pleased with the performance of the tachometer. The needle function seemed very smooth up and down the rpm range, without even a hint of a hick up, even though I haven't made the final electrical connections yet. More than anything else, this smooth needle function was what really gave me the impression that it was a nice quality unit. Expensive and simple, but good quality, and definitely worth the somewhat higher price. Actually kind of a bargain considering the rarity of 6 volt tachs and the fact that it's made in the US.

The only real negative I can come up with is that it took about six weeks to deliver. I don't know if this is common, but they did email me about the delay, so that helped. I suspect it's a pretty small firm, so they may do the 6 volt stuff on an as-ordered basis. That's all I can think of for now...highly recommended at this point. If you have questions let me know.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote