View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 33 ford with muncie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpaxton View Post
Well I`m not against using a T-5. I usually go with what I have around but sure, why not. So I did a bit of looking on ebay for some info and first thing I noted was the S10-15 has the shifter more forward than the Ford. Also they make distinction between electric and mechanical speedo. So does anyone no what I need for year S10-15 and still get the mecahanical speedo? Thanks
The info in the link BELOW......

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebl...onversion.html

.........is a huge start in understanding the "mechanics" of this swap. But there is far more to consider than the basics. What you probably should consider (for USABLE gear ratios) is finding an '83-'87 Camaro V8 NON-WORLD CLASS (NWC) T5 with the 2.95 1st gear set. Build it using the S-10 MAIN SHAFT (which is also NWC) and the S-10 mechanical speedo tail shaft housing, which was produced from 1983-'86. It will all bolt-together. One more thing to consider which many people do not realize is that the CHEVY T5s all have 27-splines on the output shaft, whereas the Fords all have 28-splines. In other words, this makes it impossible to utilize Ford plastic speedo gears on a Chevy output shaft, or vice versa. I can possibly help you with more T5 "trivia", as well as the reasoning behind the importance of getting the CORRECT gearing in your "basic" T5 to start with. All T5s are NOT blessed with the same internal gearing. If you start-out with the wrong one, you will not be happy with your swap. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote