Thread: Ignition Help
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 03:22 PM   #12
tubman

Default Re: Ignition Help

The voltage put out by a coil is a function of the input voltage and the ratio of primary to secondary windings. How would it know how much voltage is needed to fire a plug? What about when a plug is slightly fouled and fires intermittently? Since it fires once in a while, it is not completely dead; does the coil know enough to raise the voltage on that one plug once in a while? How come it doesn't raise the voltage to what that plug needs? I think you had better re-think this.

On the MSD I installed, it was on a fresh engine where everything was new. I used marine surface gap spark plugs (which are designed for high-output ignition systems), so mine decided the coil tower on the cap was the point of least resistance. Believe, me, after replacing several caps the first year, I made damn sure there were no cracks and everything was squeaky clean. The guy on the "H.A.M.B." came there originally looking for Iridium spark plugs because his MSD was literally eating his plugs alive.

An ignition system is a carefully designed system, with all parts designed to work together in a balance. Upsetting that balance is looking for trouble. Most of the time we get away with it, but not always.

Last edited by tubman; 03-04-2020 at 05:25 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote