View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #29
Old Henry

Default Re: Tell me this noise isn't what I'm afraid it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
When the engine is cold does it knock immediately after starting or after it runs for a bit?
The knocking is the same hot or cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Henry, For a quick test you could just pull off one spark plug lead at a time and see which cylinder causes the knock to go quieter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Professor,
Pull one plug at a time and see if the knock stops or diminishes at any cylinder. If it is a rod this test would take all the pressure off the offending cylinder. Just a thought
John
Unfortunately, pulling the spark plug wires one at a time didn't identify the offending piston (if there is one). It would sure be nice to know which piston it is before I tear into it so I don't have to remove both heads and all pistons to find out. Any other test to find out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
Dunno? I'd pull all the plugs first and see if they can tell you anything. If they all look the same, then pull the heads and take a look at and massage the pistons for bearing or wristpin issues.

Jack E/NJ
How do I "massage the pistons for bearing and wristpin issues?"

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-22-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote