View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
pete rose

Default Re: Oil leak from drain plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Wrap a piece of soft 1/16th in dia. solder around the drain plug just underneath the hex head where plug contacts the oil pan and then tighten it up. The idea is that the solder will crush and seal at same time. Or make a leather washer out of an old belt and use it to serve the same purpose. Must use leather. Add some non hardening gasket sealant or shellac to washer for extra good seal.

Hi 19Fordy
I've got a similar problem with a 59A with the big plug ( approx. 1 1/2 in ) and have tried several compound gaskets and even put some permatex on the last attempt to stop the leak. With permatex better but still seaping.Your solder idea sounds good and I'll give that a try next oil change, but I'm curious about the leather gasket comment.
Does a leather home made gasket work any differently that the compound gaskets I have been using from Mac's. Can you give me your experience with leather. It sounds like a real simple fix, but I don't want to try it only to have to drain oil out again to try the next fix. Would like to weigh the solder vs leather idea so please give me your guidance as to which to try first. Thanks for any help offered
Pete
pete rose is offline   Reply With Quote