View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #19
larrys40

Default Re: Move Pinion forward and back per Les Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
My technique is to bolt the right axle housing to the right side of the banjo with no gaskets and torque the bolts down to 35 ft. lbs. With the carrier assembly installed I add two .010 gaskets to the left side of the banjo and attached the left axle housing and begin pulling all the bolts down toward 35 ft. lbs. stopping periodically to check that I can turn the ring gear with my finger by reaching in through the torque tube flange on the banjo. If I feel it getting too tight I stop and add one or more gaskets. In this manner no strain is put on any of the hardware.

Two .010 gaskets is the least amount of gaskets I want to end up with. Anything less and there is liable to be an oil leak.

Tom Endy

Al,
Like Tom I have done many rear axles... our only difference is I go ahead and split the .020 thickness and mount a .010 gasket on each side as a starting point.And adjust add subtract, change left to right as needed for proper gear contact and preload. dab 4 small points of rtv at equal places to hold the gaskets and then see where things fall. A agree with Tom that I have never had to shim or adjust the Pinion bearing/race by shimming it. Your tooth contact is dictated fine by the preload and shim of the carrier bearings by the various gasket thicknesses.

Once correct gasket thickness is determined seal well with a skim of rtv including a little on the threads ( especially lower half) of carrier bolts to ensure that there is no leakage there.

Good luck!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote