View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
Old Henry

Default Re: Headlight Alignment

I just stumbled onto a very simple and effective way to aim headlights.

At 1:30 A.M. on the day I left for Alaska I finished rebuilding and rewiring my headlights and drove to my usual spot on the dark country road to line them up. After getting them the best I thought I could just aiming them down the dark road I headed home. On the way home I was pushing the dimmer button to see how the light seemed to be lined up. There were some construction barrels way down the road as well as a stop sign. I noticed that on high beam they weren't lit up but were on low beam. That meant my lights were aimed too high. I stopped and re-aligned them so that those reflective surfaces way down the street were brightest on high beam which made them nothing on low beam. Wow! That sure made a difference on my trip. I know now that for years my headlights have not been properly aimed because I have always had to supplement the high beams with the spot light. Now, aligning them with this method, the high beams work better than ever all by themselves.

So, even on a street lit up with street lights, you can get on a stretch that's straight and level for at least a few blocks that has a reflective stop sign or even just parked car reflectors way down there, align the high beams up on any reflective surface and they'll be perfect.