Thread: PCV on 8BA
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: PCV on 8BA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
My PCV system does indeed use a Chrysler filler cap on the filler tube connected to the outer plenum of my air cleaner.
This is the same PCV system that Chrysler used and Ford used the same PCV system with the hose from the air cleaner to the oil filler cap on the overhead valve cover.
A PCV by definition is a closed system that uses engine vacuum to pull air out of the crankcase. Believe what you are referring uses the air cleaner intake source for a PCV that draws the air from a fitting on the air cleaner via a oil filler cap on the valve cover. The suggested approach posted here is the reverse of that setup, it is using the slight vacuum within the air cleaner to draw air out of the crankcase without the use of a PCV valve.

An issue with this approach, to me, is you are pulling unfiltered air into the crankcase!

Back to the original post, are you sure you are using a correct PCV valve, one that is compatible with a flathead? Are you sure it is working correctly? The low vacuum you are seeing at idle would indicate it is not working properly. The valve should block the vacuum source at idle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcv-1.jpg (88.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg pcv_diag_258_2.jpg (19.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg pcv_function.jpg (17.2 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 03-20-2019 at 08:29 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote