View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #98
Henry Floored

Default Re: Ford Flathead vs small block chevy debate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfromvictoria View Post
actually rodders started replacing flatheads with pushrod engines in the 50`s because flatheads were boring,slow and unreliable but not cheaper. let me get this right. its a sin to replace an unreliable flathead with a chevy v-8 in your hot rod but butchering up an old ford to replace an unreliable trans with an S -10 is recommended by the mentors on this site. hmmm rodders have been installing chevys since 1955 but i guess we will never learn.

OK let's straighten this out. The Borg- Warner T-5 whether it came in a Mustang, Jeep or S10 has origins in the Ford "Toploader" design. The S10 version is often preferred for it's forward shifter location.

My gosh this age old argument is such a joke! How about this...... picture a huge number of `50's- `60's GM or Chrysler musclecars getting converted to the newest and most powerful and efficient Ford V8's like the new 5.0. Do ya think enthusiasts of the GM and Mopar persuasion would raise an eyebrow? Heck! those guys squirm if a number or decal is out of place. I cannot understand why in the hell the leap is almost always to the GM parts bins when updating an old Ford. Ford by virtue of Lincoln has been producing OHV V8's since 1952. Don't give me that you can't find one or make it work. It's better to bastardize it with crosstown junk?
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote