View Single Post
Old 02-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Leaking Head bolt?

Sometimes the stud backs out when the head nut is removed . The head may have to be removed but one thing for sure is the stud will usually need be removed . In many cases the bottom will be knocked out of the stud hole in the block , caused from over tightening the stud . If this is the case , the only fix that I know of would be to seal the threads by what ever method possible . The stud could be backed out with vise grips but the upper stud fine threads would be damaged . I would seal the threads and install a new or used stud . For good measure when I first cranked the engine I would use a quality block sealer with tap water . I would follow the block sealer instructions to the letter . After the engine was run , cooled and drained I would install antifreeze and water to the ratio needed to protect from freezing . No matter what method is used , removing the head or not , when the stud is removed , there will be a risk of the stud breaking off in the block . Broken studs can be drilled and removed without damaging the block threads if care is taken .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote