View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #5
Joe K

Default Re: Crankshaft Alignment/Transmission Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
You can have the the flywheel housing parallel with the crank flange but if the crank
is not centered in the block it won't be concentric with the flywheel housing.

Bob
Bob: Won't you know immediately when the transmission pilot shaft won't enter the center of the flywheel.

Goodcar: If it went together I dare say that while it may be off a tad - but probably not enough to make a difference. Also, you don't get a lot of "off" on that rear main before it becomes apparent in the line boring. "Tight" at the timing gear IS the desired condition. Most start their life that way.

It sounds like you (or someone) have indicated the crank and shimmed it properly. A lot of shims in one location is possible as the flywheel housings are (ahem) flexible not only in original design, but who knows what time will do as cast iron "seasons."

I dare say your transmission issues are probably from another origin. As 3rd gear is the "direct drive" you may have a bad pilot bearing, a bad pilot bearing seat (these tend to wear down), or simply wear & tear between the male input gear and the female output gear.

I confess I'm not acquainted with "The Big Three" in transmission re-builders, how meticulous they are, whether they use all new gears (tend to solve any issues but new tends to be "loud" at least until everything "wears in.") Generally a "mix & match" of new gears and old can lead to problems. I tend to go one way (all new) or the other (best possible looking old gears) and each of these transmissions are good service.

Perhaps if you could clue us in on what exactly they did to your transmission it might help?

Joe K