View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #24
greenpondmike

Default Re: 1960-1972 ford trucks- thoughts?

I had a 77 with a 302 and it got 16-18 mpg soft peddling it on takeoff. The 16 is with 10-40 valvoline and driving it 70-90 on the highway with some mixed city driving. It got the 18 on valvoline 20-50 and doing 55 on a 2 lane state highway.
Pulling a tandom car hauling trailer with scrap vehicles on it the truck got 13 mpg. It was a swb truck and I always had enough power and even liked the powerband it had. No problem going up oak mountain with that trailer loaded.
Had a 79 with a 400m in it. I think it got around 12 mpg regardless. It seemed to have a lot of lower end torque, but I liked smooth steady build up of torque from the 302 better.
Had a 91 van with a fuel injected 300 six and wow that thing could pull. Coupled with the AOD trans and smaller tires than stock that thing would go head to head with any common vehicle on the highway. Great power band from 0 to wide open. Someone raced me one night on the highway and as they were passing me I saw it was Jefferson county in a suv chevy. I sheepishly waved a him and backed off. He just went on down the road with his V8 victory over my 6cyl van lol. I had other 300s, but the one in my van was the best one. The ones with carbs were almost worn out time I got them and were nothing to brag about. Not sure on mpg though, but it seemed my 302 got better although the 300 didn't seem to drop to 13mpg when pulling a loaded trailer. By now you probably already have gotten something, but I just wanted to throw in my $.02.
greenpondmike is offline   Reply With Quote