View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #18
shew01

Default 180 Degree Thermostat "Hunting"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
With the style probe adapter you have, if the thermostat is properly placed against the motor coolant outlet neck, the probe temp. will swing every time the thermostat opens or closes, since the probe will be on the radiator no coolant flow side of the thermostat when the thermostat is closed.

I probably wasn’t clear in my post. My thermostat is located adjacent to the radiator (i. e., at the top of the posted picture), not adjacent to the engine block (which would be near the bottom of the posted picture).

Granted, the traditional place to install a thermostat is as close to the engine block as possible, to measure the actual engine heat as accurately as possible. However, with my current probe configuration, moving the thermostat to the bottom of the top hose (i. e., closer to the block) would make the temperature gauge be even more inaccurate, wouldn’t it? Because that would put the probe on the “cold” side of the thermostat.

I’d want the probe on “hot” side of the thermostat, correct?

The hoses themselves are not leaking—they are dry. In the picture, there is a small drop under the center of the upper tank. The stop leak has (most likely temporarily) stopped that drip for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote