View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 02:05 PM   #45
JayJay

Default Re: Restamping a restamped block

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackops View Post
Totally out of left field...how hard is it to get a 17-digit VIN assigned to the car?

My car had a 17-digit VIN assigned in South Africa, as it was required by law at the time. The 17 digits include information about it being a South African assigned number, the car being in the "experimental/home built/antique" category, and such. It's nice because that's what the car is titled under here in the US, so if I change out the engine at any point, the VIN isn't affected.

That said, I am interested in this thread because I'd like to re-stamp the US-numbered engine with the correct Canadian number to match the frame. Luckily, I was able to find an engine from the same month in 1928, so if I don't restamp it, at least it's the correct month. If I do, then it will still be the same age as the car.
In California, it's not too difficult to get a VIN assigned. You fill out the paperwork and pay the fees ('natch), then take it to the DMV with your supporting documentation that you indeed own the car. The inspector looks to make sure the actual car conforms to the description, that your paperwork is in order, then assigns a number and provides you with a tag with that number. The tag gets attached to the car, that number gets associated with the paperwork (title, registration) and away you go. It's up to you to coordinate with the insurance company. I've not done it myself but a colleague did it, his tag was attached to the inside of the A-pillar near the door hinge.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is online now   Reply With Quote