View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
GOSFAST

Default Cam Degreeing/Checking Important

This is another "tip" with respect to degreeing, or at least checking, the cam position BEFORE the final assembly!

It is an item I know few really pay attention to during most rebuilds. I would assume most professional builders would check and correct? We do this on EVERY build that leaves here, regardless of make/model or street/strip!

It isn't that easy to "move" a Flathead cam, just takes a bit of "outside-the-box" thinking!

The two photos below (on the left) show one member's build ready to be be corrected, I have another member's to do today also! The one in the photo below is 4* advanced with the "dots" lined up, the other (we've already checked it a few days ago) is 3* advanced also with the "dots" aligned.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a shot of one I'm working on at this moment, this is for an 8BA "blown" build. It will be moved to the correct spot later today. There's two ways to accomplish this, one is by a "quick-pin" method, the other uses a timing "pill" (pictured also) the same as a SBC and can be "moved" (advanced/retarded) easily at any later time if necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Cam-Degree Checking Position B.JPG (59.6 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Cam-Degree Checking Position C.JPG (50.5 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Timing Gear Pill B.JPG (81.6 KB, 262 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote