View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 12:11 AM   #20
rrich1

Default Re: I think I killed my starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Ratchet nuts are notorious for not loosening. You need a wrench bent so it can fit over the nut, and bent to clear the pulley since the nut is recessed in the pulley.

The wrench handle should be long enough so the free end can be jammed against the frame of the vehicle. With a working starter, with the wrench jammed against the frame, ignition off, bump the starter, and the nut should loosen.

You can make your own wrench by heating a handle and bending it appropriately, or buy one. But the handle needs to be long enough to jam against the frame for stubborn ratchet nuts.
great to know thank you.

I took the starter apart and cleaned the inside. Everything looked good but the bendix is still seized on the shaft. I was able to get everything back together (remind me never to do that again). I have yet to put it back in so I can attempt to rock the truck and get the bendix free.

I ordered quite a few parts from snyder's including a new two piece crank pulley, rope seals, carb gasket kit so I can take the carb apart and clean it, ratchet nut, ratchet nut wrench.

With Snyder's super quick shipping I hope to get things back together this monday night or tuesday.
rrich1 is offline   Reply With Quote