View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #15
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Intake manifold getting hot

The spark happens when the points open . More gap will cause the spark to happen sooner because the points will open a bit quicker . The most important thing about ignition timing is where the rotor tip points when the timing pin drops into the indentation on the cam timing gear . The trailing edge of the rotor tip should point exactly at the number one contact in the distributor cap with NO counter clockwise backlash after the distributor cam screw is tightened . It makes NO difference if the lever is up or down , the spark still occurs when the points open . If the rotor tip is very far off , the timing will be off enough that the engine probably won't run at all . Where the rotor tip points is most important but points gap DOES have an effect on timing simply because the spark happens when the points open . More gap will cause the points to open quicker . Rotor tip location and points gap work together for correct timing . For an example , when the rubbing block on the points wears the points gap reduces and retards timing in the process . Ford specs for points gap were eighteen to twenty two thousands . I adjust my points anywhere from twenty to twenty two thousands . The wider points gap gives quicker throttle response and more time before the timing will need to be readjusted . The spark lever should be fully retarded when starting the engine . Ford said full advance at speed . Speed was considered to be from 35 mph on up . If or when knocking or pinging is detected the spark lever should be retarded as necessary to eliminate the knocks . From what I have seen , Many go WAY to the extremes when retarding the spark lever .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote