View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #47
Flathead Youngin'

Default Re: What is the price of a rebuilt flathead??

I've been wanting to post a thread similar to the direction this one is going. I have a really good 59ab but I'd like to build a flathead just for the learning experience.

I've since lost grandpa as a resource two years ago but he rebuilt 100's of flattys and when I would ask him questions, he would always say, "Oh, you don't need to do all that. They spend all that extra money for nothing. It doesn't take all that to build a good reliable flat head." This coming from a guy that ran nitro, did his own boring with hones, ground his own cams and did his own porting and relieving. I watched him buy and old motor and scour the swap meets for new bearings, rings and pistons. But I just didn't get in on watching him actually go through one. Usually by the next time I stopped by, it was already back together and he was on to the next one.

So, I've always wondered what HAS to be done. I know there are two schools of thought on this, as I see it emerging, here, in this thread.

I'm of the do it yourself, save money and reuse what you can school and I'd really like to do it this way- honestly I just can't spend that kind of $$ on one.
Flathead Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote