View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
41Joe

Default Carburetor Issues - School me

I have a 226 H-series in my 41 (not stock to car). It has the Holley 847 carburetor on it. Supposedly it was rebuilt, but I can not attest to the quality of the rebuild. It worked when I first put it on a few years ago. But it never idled right. I couldn't get it to idle below 700 RPM. It usually stuck around 900 RPM.
I have been having this problem with my linkage where it will stick when the engine starts to get to a certain temperature. I know how to fix it now. I was driving it around last weekend and it got stuck at full throttle, and the nut loosened and fell out. So I couldn't get it pulled back. I limped it to the side of the road and shut it off. I had to get it towed home.
I fixed the linkage but now the idle is even higher than normal. It's closer to 1100 RPM and I can't get it to go lower. I looked down the carburetor while it was running and fuel is coming out of the main nozzle and not thru the idle circut. My throttle plate looks like it is partially open just a hair.
So the first picture is how the idle is supposed to work. The second is when the choke is on. This is how it appears to be working, except my choke isn't hooked up. So the choke plate is full open. I backed the screw out that rides on the choke cam to open the main plate slightly. Still nothing. It's dumping gas out of that main nozzle. If I press down on the main arm to close the throttle plate, it will start to idle better. But I have to put a lot of pressure to get it closed enough. I'm stuck right now. Carburetors where never my thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holley 847 Operation_01 Idle.jpg (45.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Holley 847 Operation_02 Idle to Full Throttle.jpg (47.0 KB, 20 views)
41Joe is offline   Reply With Quote