View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #15
37 Coupe

Default Re: Using 85 octane fuel

Growing up a neighborhood high school buddy drove a 1931 Model A coupe that his grandfather had left him.This was when we were in Junior year 1963 and he always bragged how it would only run on high test gas. The car was probably all original and poorly maintained,it was solid but surface rust entire body and fenders. The grandpa also left the family his gas station store which has been moved to our fairgrounds now with the original visible gas pumps.Extra cost of high test Sohio was not an issue but even I at age 17 knew it was nothing to brag about evidently valves,compression or spark required higher octane to run somewhat normal. My dad always supported me in search for my own Model A and helped me buy a 1930 roadster in 1964 but a couple years earlier,probably more than that about 1960 a cpuple guys were in the gas station and offered my buddy's dad $500 for the coupe. My dad told me he did not believe it and no way they would have turned down almost its new car price in '31. We paid $800 for the roadster 4 years later.