View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 09:19 PM   #514
denniskliesen

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

NEW CYLINDER HEAD EVALUATION

My evaluation results from the new Burtz head are now complete. I have a 160° thermostat in my engine.

The coolant mixture is 50/50 antifreeze to water. With the engine warmed up in 85° weather I measured the temperatures across the head above the exhaust valves, and all cylinders were equal.

The temperature along the left side of the head was equal from front to back. The temperature reading on the water jacket in the middle of the head running from front to rear was about 170° at the rear and was increasing to 180° at the front of the head where the water pump was mounted.

The water jacket at the rear of the cylinder block was 10° cooler compared to the water jacket at the front of the cylinder block.

My conclusion regarding the temperature of the cylinder head is even across the length of the head. So I would say the passages that were changed in either shape or closed in comparison to an original or aftermarket head have helped to keep the head temperature even.

I have no leaks anywhere and I checked the head for flatness and torqued the head down to 55 ft lbs in the sequence as recommended by Terry Burtz.

I traveled 2,800 miles on a recent trip to Kerrville, TX. During my return trip home I traveled through areas of Desert in New Mexico, Arizona, and California during the daytime in 100° temperatures. My Burtz Block never overheated or lost water.

I did a compression test after I installed the Burtz head and found the compression in all 4 cylinders 135 lbs. The previous head on my engine was a Snyder’s 6.0:1 and it had 110 lbs in all cylinders.

Terry Burtz told me the compression ratio is rated at 6.5:1. When I started my power performance testing I changed my spark lever to a little less total advance from the previous setting. On a stretch of a toll road in my area prior to the Burtz head I was able to just maintain speed on an incline, while the Burtz head easily had enough power to climb the grade and accelerate going up the road. I highly recommend this head based on my test results.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote