View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #14
Model A Ron

Default Re: 3.27 Gear without an Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Model A Ron, I would advise against 3.27 in North Carolina unless you stay in the flats. It also depends on how you drive your car. Do you spend more time going on back roads or the interstate? Do you drive it into town or on long road trips? Ford put the 4.11 gears in cars that were shipped to mountain areas. I still think an overdrive is a better solution.
Most of my driving is between 40 and 55 on country roads. I am about 50 miles from the foot hills so for the most part the roads are flat with the occasional small to medium sized hill. I am looking to put a 3.27 into my new project a 1931 Victoria as an alternative to an OD.

The Mitchel OD at 26% with 3.78 gears is wonderful......I have one in my 29 Phaeton and love it. Top end in overdrive is well over 60 but you could drive all day long at 55 to 60 without issue. That said I do not want to go much over 50 with most of my driving. The car will do it but you need to think about the limitations of a car designed for use 90 years back. That said the 3.27 is the equivalent to a 15.5% full time overdrive with 3.78 gears.

Starting off in Mitchel high with the equivalent of 3.00 to one gearing is to much and too slow to get up to speed. The 3.27 should be a slow start but doable and happy between 35 and 50 in my opinion.

Last edited by Model A Ron; 11-17-2021 at 10:01 AM.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote