View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #24
uncle buck

Default Re: Dealing with the heirs on '32 parts ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
One of my dear friends of 41 years who was a MAJOR 32 collector died 5 years ago. I knew his nephew was to inherit all the cars (28 of them) and all the parts (he bought out 3 dealerships in the 60s) After having a good heart to heart talk with him, he told me who he wanted to be the first dealer in to buy parts, he also gave me a "do not sell to this person parts under any circumstances list" because he knew they would be sitting in the rain. His nephew knew he trusted me and I promised him before he passed that I would make sure they didn't sell a 32 distributor for $20 because it looks just like a 33-36 to most people. I knew his prices on parts as I helped run his swap meet stalls for at least 30 years. So I have been keeping my word to my departed friend now as I helped sell many of the cars, and we have been having sales where the parts are stored. There are still many parts left and until that location sells, I will keep having sales for the nephew.
In this way, I feel I am still helping my friend who I think of every day. Over the years I painted 5 cars for him. I feel good about what I am doing because I am keeping my promise and it never feel like this is a burden even though I live 100 miles from where the parts are. I also up to this point anyway, am keeping the parts in the hands of those who can use them instead of the scrap dealer.

Think ahead folks, have a plan and it doesn't have to be a nightmare story which unfortunately happens all too often when people with no idea inherit this stuff.

Unfortunately I knew of him for many years but actually only knew him less than the last 10 years of his life. What a great person with a wealth of knowledge he was, and very humble too. He was a neat guy and I miss him too Mike
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote