View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #26
sturgis 39

Default Re: Drop Staight Axle vs IFS

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanborn View Post
While I am happy with the front suspension, I am not happy with the rear suspension. I used the Speedway composite rear springs. They are just too stiff for the rear weight(1600 lbs.) and several rear shock adjustments/tire pressure adjustments have done little to make it better. I have one other trick I am going to try(slider rear hangers) to get the ride better. If that fails, I will change to traditional springs.

I like the handling with the composite springs(very fast reacting---like a good coil over) but the ride is just too stiff. If I had about 2200 libs rear weight, the ride would probably be OK.
Could you remove a couple of leaves or install the original spring? I do not think there is a better ride than a stock Ford suspension. I do not understand the shock adjustments. This might be one of the cases where the more I work on it the worse it gets. Just because it is advertised, does not mean, it is better than you have.

Ford springs work just fine and by installing parallel springs you will probably have additional problems with the ride and the value of the car will be a lot less because somebody will need to down date the car. This is my opinion and nobody has agreed with me in a long time. Will maybe the dog when he wants a treat.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote