View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #24
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: 6V versus 12V (stupid ques. I'm a newbie)

The main reason that I run my 31 standard roadster on 12 volts is because I wanted too .
As others have said 12 volt bulbs, batteries and other components are readily available .
.Twelve volt components used on the model A generally require less amps .

Less amps creates less heat .

Generators and other components have an easier life and last longer on 12 volt .

Lights are brighter and the starter spins much faster .

I prefer to keep original appearance where ever possible on my model A's

The completely unmodified model A generator charges in amps and will charge a 12 volt battery with no problem .

I use the Fun Projects 12 volt positive ground voltage regulator .

I always replace old wiring when fixing up my model A's .

I use the original 6 volt color coded wiring harnesses from Brattons .

Six volt wiring is larger because of the higher amperage and heat produced by a 6 volt system .

The larger gauge wire used with 6 volt systems will operate even cooler when used with a 12 volt system .

Probably less risk of an electrical fire .

Original unmodified starters have worked good for me .

I prefer the modern starter drive whether running six or twelve volts .

A resistor can be used at the coil connection if you want to use the original type six volt 1.5 OHM coil .

I use a three OHM coil on 12 volts and NO ugly resistor will be needed .

Though the words FLAME THROWER scares some , I prefer to use the Pertronix 40.000 volt flame thrower coil for better performance that I can feel . This of course is only a matter of personal choice .

The Pertronix coil doesn't look any different than most other replacement coils .

This 12 volt upgrade retains original appearance with the generator .

The battery is hidden under the floor boards as original and remains positive ground

The main thing about this conversion is the 12 volt battery itself .

If original wiring is good , use it

This system operates with 10 amps maximum charge on demand

If a lot of high draw accessories will be used an alternator would be your best bet .

This type conversion uses less amps for longer componet life , You get brighter lights, faster starts and ease of locating bulbs and batteries .

This 12 volt upgrade can also be set up with negative ground . Fun Projects also offered a negative ground voltage regulator that takes the place of the cut out .

This setup has worked good for the past 12 years for me .

I will upgrade the rest of my model A collectiuon as the 6 volt batteries wear out .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote