Thread: Flathead Jack
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Flathead Jack

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Jack's stuff was a little expensive, but he answered the phone. I loved the catalog because it explained stuff. I bought the powerflow valves from Flathead Jack because it described how they had the groove at the right place, not requiring shims. But that service and knowledge based business model is no longer sustainable.

As much as we all like to complain about Mac's, having them come under a volume based business model at Eckler's will keep our hobby going for maybe another generation.

After that very few will have the inclination, much less the knowledge and skills to work on old cars. My grandson probably could not find the hood release on his car. The good news is that modern cars hardly ever break; the bad news is that when they do, there is no way for a regular Joe to even attempt a fix. I just bought my wife a new car (to use on days when it is too messy to drive her '34 pickup) and I did not even look under the hood. In the unlikely event that I ever get a low oil light between changes I am pretty sure the dip stick will have a yellow handle.

But in the meantime, it is great to have this site to share information and thoughts about this pastime.

About dipsticks on modern cars: Did you hear about the computer geek that took his dipstick to a parts counter and asked for a new one? Counterman: "Why a new dipstick? This one looks fine!" Geek: "I need a longer one. This one doesn't touch the oil any more."
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote