View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #9
F.M.
BANNED

Default Re: Any Lore About Battery Repair in Model "A" Days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Was it really a widespread practice to open up batteries back then to replace plates etc.? Seems like a whole lot of work to drain the electrolyte, then somehow open up the tar top, etc.

The literature makes it obvious they had loads of battery issues. I know the economics were vastly different in that era but still, it seems like a lot of work to fiddle with battery repair.....labor rates then must have been peanuts to justify extensive repairs.
I cant remember how many I did back in 1965 in Da Nang Viet Nam.. I also must have re-poured 1,000s of Posts burnt off from guys not knowing how to jump a set of four 12 volt batterys in one box.. In doing so I only had one pop back at me.. To this day I still have my post molds we made in my box in the garage.. We Seabees had many big glass jugs of pure acid that had to be mixed with water before use.. The Marines not far away needed Acid Bad !! We had no Beer, They had plenty of San Maguil ?? Any way, we traded a bunch for the beer !! Hey, warm beer is still better than NO Beer !!..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote