Thread: 1932 BB Dump
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 03:10 PM   #144
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 BB Dump

Nate,

Glyptal is a coating perhaps best known for being used on the inside of electrical transformers. Performance automotive engine builders often use it to coat the water and oil passages inside of cylinder heads and blocks to lessen surface friction. As it is red, it is hard to miss so the likelihood of it not being noticed is low, unless it was washed away over time or never there in the first place. My experience suggests the latter. I do use it, but not in the inside of blocks and cylinder heads, but rather to coat the inside of '32 V8 aluminum oil pans whose aluminum is very porous to the extent that they will literally sweat oil.

Even a well worn B engine tends to run within its design temperature range, so I think that Glyptal in a B block and heads would be nice, but likely overkill. Instead I would tend to focus on the radiator in terms of its cleanliness and free flow. Despite then and there evidence of cooling issues with the V8s and the relative absence of recorded cooling issues for the fours, the only extra cooling radiator offered by Ford during the 1932 Model year was for Model B commercial vehicles and trucks. Instead of having three rows of tubes, it had four rows, like a V8 radiator. It was only offered through service and only late in the model year. (Which is another way of saying it's rarely encountered these days.) If you find a usable one or your truck already has one, great, but you'll do fine if you do not.

The best to you and your family on the Fourth.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote