View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 11:17 AM   #9
stevests

Default Re: Intake manifold Gaskets for 1913

First you need to verify that your exhaust manifold is straight - you need a steel straight edge, not a piece of wood or bench top. Lay the straight edge along the BOTTOM of # 1 & #4 ports and see where #2 & #3 are - if ANY visual difference between the 4 ports, the ring & glands won't work for you. Best option is to purchase a new exhaust manifold - they're not that expensive and a good copy !

My procedure for installing manifolds is first to get an extra pair of manifold clamps & cut off one leg so just the hole & leg is left, lay them within reach on top of the engine. I install the steel rings into the block then install the copper crush gland onto the ring, install intake manifold first to visually verify that it seated, hold with one hand & start a cut-off clamp onto each stud & tighten nut finger tight or just snug with a wrench, then same drill with the exhaust ports - ring & gland into the block, again have the 4 original clamps & nuts (I use brass) within easy reach then you can visually look down over the top of the exhaust manifold and verify it went home (seated on all 4 ports) - you can usually "feel" it set - again one handed, grab a clamp and install on the front & rear studs to hold the exhaust on then remove one cut-off intake clamp at a time. I tighten front to back evenly until good & snug then after getting the engine up to operating temperature and verify no leaks, let it cool down and tighten again in sequence.
stevests is offline   Reply With Quote