View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Another Gas Tank and Headlight question

Hi David,

As posted previously, lead additive not needed. If concerned add Marvel Mystery Oil or 2 cycle oil to the gas to provide additional top end lubrication. Also may help prevent rust in the tank.
I like to run the last 2 tanks of the season ethanol free, fill close to top (leave a little room at the top for gas expansion) and add stabilizer for storage. I also like to add Seafoam infrequently.

Rust in the tank. Good way of inspection - remove Gas Shutoff valve, inspect with borescope through the gas shutoff hole and through the filler neck.
I am going to remove the Sediment Bulb Screen and add a paper filter. I keep getting stuff in the cab that is getting by the Pencil filter, bulb screen and the carb filter.
Rust Removal - lots of methods on the barn. Including removing Tank. Using Rust911 or evaporust, or thermocure. Or something acidic like white vinegar or commercial rust remover. Additionally some rig the tank up to a motor to rotate the tank during treatment, or there are manual methods. If you do acidic, final treatment with a neutralizer is necessary.
Sealing - not sure of what is recommended, some have concerns about aging sealer peeling off. Seems a lot of this was older applications before ethanol, and the old sealants were not compatible with ethanol. You may want to research this carefully before sealing.

I am staying 6 v positive ground with generator. I use a battery that is oversize, because it is easily available locally. Made by own hold down bracket. Can't see it anyway.

Head/Tail lamps. LED conversion is plug and play. Available in 6 V positive ground. I have converted my stop/taillight and it is much brighter. You could convert to Dual stop/tail. Or there is a bar conversion that mounts in your rear window. Am currently researching LED headlights, there is I have seen concern about being able to aim them properly. I believe there is also a smaller diameter pulley available so generator will run faster at lower speeds, supposed to help with low speed driving.

The other posts are also good options. Many ways to get desired results.

How about updating us on how things are going?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote