View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
Patrick L.

Default Re: Honing Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Don View Post
I took the measuremnets at the top of the piston right above the top ring. I'm assuming this is not the thrust surface. Where is the thrust surface? I tried googling it, but it was still unclear. I will be sure to re-measure the piston when I get home from work.

Thanks for the link! Good stuff on there! I heard 0.0035" from a guy I know. He said to get the pistons and then hone them accordingly, and that I could have a little more clearance than what is typically recommended.

The engine definitely had a higher pitched, irregular noise when I would run it. It had no rhythm in relation to the engine, kind of sporadically Id hear a "ping". The engine overheating and smoking while driving was the initial start of this whole problem.

Would it be best to purchase a new set of pistons that are 0.080" and hone it or just go to 0.100" and have it bored. I guess it couldn't hurt anything, other than my wallet to get 0.080" pistons and hone the cylinders, and if anything goes wrong, have a professional bore the cylinders to 0.100".

I was consistently getting cylinder measurements under 3.955", roughly 3.953" to 3.954" with the telescope gauge and mic. Would it make sense that the cylinders were too small, and the pistons (with 0.080" etched on top) were 3.955" and wouldn't have enough clearance in the cylinder?

I did hear that boring to 0.100" gets really tricky, i.e. the cylinders' walls are too thin.

Thanks so much for the help guys.

The thrust surface is the 'fattest' part of the piston which is the area 90º to the wrist pin. If you can find who made those pistons, give them a call to see what they like for clearance. I like to add a bit to that. I'd rather run them a bit loose rather than too tight. Take several readings to see if the pistons are tapered and the correct size.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 10-17-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote