View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #33
rodderbilly

Default Re: changing plugs every 100 miles!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj View Post
A few things, I'd find a distributor machine and get the ignition sorted out on it and have caution with a hottor plug as they leave more heat in the engine and a flattie can have issues with heat.
You say that you had same problem before the navarro intake, did you have mutiple carbs then? I ask because you say at least som eof the carbs are recent - correct? so the problem might go back to a particular carb? For instance, if you originally had a single 97 on it and had overrich plugs and then you went with a navarro with an additional carb you purchased from the UK and still have the sam eproblem, then I'd be looking at the original carb - see what I mean?
When troubleshooting carbs I take them off the engine, raise them above the bench with 10" tall 5/16ths threaded rods (3 or 4 of them installed in the bolt holes) and then pump fuel into the carbs and see if they dribble under pressure. Fix each carb before reinstalling on the engine.
I tend to isolate, test and fix each componant away from the engine and then test/tune as an assembly after I know with certanty that each componant is working proper. If you have one carb with a dribble from powervalve, another carb with too low a float and an ignition with leaking vacuum pot you will go nuts trying to find just one thing to fix and the problem is like chaseing a ball of mercury.
that's a test that i never do before...so i put the old carb in my bench work ...rise it and than pump fuel inside carb?
rodderbilly is offline   Reply With Quote