View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 12:24 AM   #6
SoCalCoupe

Default Re: 1941 Ford Open Drive Conversion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The Hot Rod Works set up uses a Heim end mounted just under the transmission output that can swivel as well as rotate on the spherical ball but the Heim end looks kind of small and they mention welding the center torque arm somewhere on the two "long" type radius rods. I would use my own radius rods and arm fabricated from better tubing and a beefier bracket & Heim end. That torque tube is nice and beefy for a reason and replacing it with something less may not be the way to go. That rear axle has to move in roll axis as well as in the up & down vertical arc axis for it all to work like Ford made it. If there is a bind in it anywhere then it won't work right.
Guys, thanks for all the ideas. I have searched and read through V8COOPMAN's threads on t5 to torque-tube conversions. It's very impressive.

I think though that my preference is to go with an open drive solution. I'd really like to do one just like the "Hot Rod Works set up uses a Heim end mounted just under the transmission output that can swivel as well as rotate." Was hoping someone had used that kit and had some experience adapting it to a '41. Wrote to Hot Rod Works and they recommended ladder bars.

My end goal is to have a T5 and some slight engine improvements on the flathead, higher compression heads and either a bigger carb, two carbs or EFI.

I'll stay original or period correct where I can because that's the fun part but I don't mind going with invisible improvements. I want to do the work myself just for the satisfaction but don't want to do more work than necessary. For example, I'm still 6 volt and have no plans to change unless a decision for EFI forces my hand.

Don't know the advantages/disadvantages between staying with a banjo rear rear end, correctly sprung, or going with a newer 8" Ford. My experience is with 1960's Chevy's. Want to learn something new.

Starting work is still several months into the future, just collecting ideas
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote