View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #19
fred93

Default Re: 29 Tudor hood alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Fred if I were you I would disconnect the stay rods, slightly loosen the radiator to frame bolts, and remove the top radiator hose (which is preventing you from shifting things around much) and just let the hood and radiator/shell be able to "float" around and see what kind of conclusions you can reach by fiddling around.....nothing is going to collapse into rubble if you are careful.

my similar experiences would say the problem lies with the shell and/or the radiator. I had had the frame checked before restoration.
Who sells a repo radiator shell that works? The next four days are hard for me to get any work done on the car, but I did take a good look at the radiator shell and found that the shell does not fit over the radiator as well as it should. Standing in front of the car (trying to line my eye down the middle of the radiator) I see a gap on the left side between the radiator and the shell (like the shell is not centered on the radiator) Also, I noticed that the right side (passenger side) of the shell is closer to the radiator than the left side--like the tabs for the shell mounts are out of alignment.

Thanks for your suggestion of loosening the radiator mounting bolts etc and letting it "float" while moving the rad to the best position. I was thinking of doing that before I did anything drastic.

When I look at the overall hood alignment I am wondering if the frame was bent as result of an accident where it was hit on the right front of the car from the right side--causing the frame to bend to the left side. But if that was the case wouldn't the frame show some signs of damage?

I plan on putting the car up on my lift this weekend--is there any place that I should be looking for damage? Is there any way to measure the frame to see if it is bent?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3701.jpg (83.0 KB, 9 views)