View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #19
JOES31

Default Re: Old Points or Modern Points

Purdy,
Tell me if this is correct to take the backlash our and at the same time set the timing correctly.

Set the engine to TDC using the pin. Then loosen the cam just enough so it can be turned on the shaft. Then put the rotor and body on and turn the rotor CCW past the # 1 contact. Then turn the rotor CW to the correct position in the picture you posted. I am 99.9% sure that this will be the proper setting removing all the back lash as the shaft rotates CCW so it is pushing out the lash. This is what I did. It starts fine and idles smooth with the spark at 9:00. Is this the way it should run.

My main problem is that I really don't know if the engine is running correctly. When I drive it has no acceleration. It does go but maybe 0-50 in 20 seconds and God forbid you get above 50! What I probably need is someone that has a well running A to drive it and tell me if this is the way these things run. I am used to performance and lest face it distributors are long gone. replaced with electronic sequential spark controllers. I was involved with engines a long time ago but mainly performance engines which is a whole another world and since then has completely changed. I could easily jerk that 4 banger and replace it with a turbocharged Offy 4. Now that would run really well but the drive train would last all of a mile and loose it's originality.

Don't mind the lectures. I can always learn something and never tinkered with an A before. I am starting to understand why. I appreciate the help.

Joe

Last edited by JOES31; 06-26-2014 at 03:29 PM.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote