View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
larrys40

Default Re: Antifreeze Loss Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboD View Post
Don't Model A's have a baffle to keep the water pump from pushing coolant out the overflow? Was the radiator worked on recently?
I would bet that you have more of an overfill problem and lack of a proper baffle in the top of the radiator.
It should be more than just a "U" shaped which is what many of the repro radiators use, both old and new. I have a local radiator shop pretty well trained at doing radiators for me... and making the correct baffles when they don't have one or is inadequate. It should pretty well run 3/4 length of top of the upper tank, left to right. I generally fill to where you can just see the level at the baffle.. as you have to give it room to expand as the coolant warms, and also for flow.
Use an infared on the radiator and make sure you don't have any cool spots.

I'm in St. Louis and am the one who gave the meter seminar and tools.... glad you made the trip. Our region enjoyed hosting it and appreciated the fact of all those who drove and brought their cars under the adverse conditions of the weather. The neat thing is... you will remember it forever. I've been in lots of bad weather and even tornado's within the vicinity with the "A". Just missed baseball size hale one time... Yes, I remember them well. Good luck with the radiator!

Larry S.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote